The Proposal: Her Version

The Proposal: Her Version

Aug 02
The Proposal: Her Version

So to start off with, I should tell you that I had a feeling the proposal could happen on our aquarium day. That isn’t remarkable, though, because I had convinced myself that it was going to happen on a previous date, too. I decided I would dress and primp <em>just in case</em>, but I tried not to get my hopes up. We got there, took our picture, and sat down for the dolphin show. The show was… fascinating. The singing/acting was a little awkward, but the dolphins were adorable!! When we finally got out of there, we were off to explore the aquarium. David was so calm and we just kept walking around… I was sure that it wasn’t going to happen at this point. “Great… I did it again. I got all excited over nothing.”

So I decided to relax and enjoy the day. David mentioned that he had called the aquarium to ask how long the show was and he was told that everyone goes to the 4pm show, meaning that the aquarium would clear out around then. I thought this was an odd tidbit, but I shrugged it off. We continued to go through the aquarium enjoying the atmosphere and each other’s company. We took a little break to sit near the otters. They were awake and energetic!! I was so excited!! It was already shaping up to be a perfect day. We made our way through half of the aquarium, and we skipped over Ocean Voyager to go on to the next section. David said something about the timing… and I was confused on why in the world timing mattered… but once again, I shrugged it off.

As we entered Ocean Voyager, I was already thinking about the planned Coke Museum follow-up visit. As we walked, I saw a man in front of us wearing what I remember to be a green-striped polo (even though it was actually blue). I didn’t think anything of it, but I felt David yank on my hand and pull me to a fish tank. I suddenly felt bad for walking so quickly by the fish, but I didn’t think there was anything all that interesting in this tank… but… ok, I guess David REALLY wanted to see it. We then walked toward the tunnel that I had forgotten was there. I turned and saw the same man from earlier standing in a dark corner facing the wall. That struck me as weird, and I turned to look down the tunnel. I made eye-contact with Jennifer. I thought that was a funny coincidence, but she quickly ran away instead of coming to say hello. David and I stood there a while, and I was beginning to wonder what was going on. We bypassed the moving sidewalk and went into the tunnel.

The first thing I saw was a vase of roses on the ground, and it hadn’t yet occurred to me that they were for me. We got a little further, and I saw the picture board (you’ll hear more about the picture board in David’s version of the story). At this point, it was beginning to come together. I could see that there were words written on the back of the photos, but I had forgotten how to read. My face was numb. David got the hint and started reading them to me, whispering them in my ear. Then he got down on one knee and asked me the question I have been waiting to hear my entire life. My initial response (which, luckily, nobody heard) was, “Yeeahh…” and then I caught myself and replied a second time, “Yes.”

We kissed about a thousand times, hugged, and I tried by best to keep my emotions in check. Everyone that saw the proposal applauded and it was a big, beautiful moment. I turned around and saw Mr. Joyner and Sunira (though, it took me a few seconds to realize who she was), and soon after I saw Mrs. Joyner. I loved standing there enjoying our moment. After pictures and hugs and laughter, we moved on to finish up our aquarium visit. We went around the corner, and I called my parents. This was when the tears refused to be held in. We finished walking through the aquarium and decided to skip the Coke Museum. We made our way to the car through the rain, and met up with Michael later that night. We celebrated together at Fado, the place we went on the night we got reacquainted.

Leave a Reply